Saturday 3 December 2011

Living with a Sciatic Leg - Gym balls, Yoga, Massage, and Beyond

During my first pregnancy I was diagnosed with Sciatica. It was as painful as hell then, and I'm sad to say, it returned to haunt me around the twelfth week of my current pregnancy. It's not easy managing with sciatica, especially since it's one of those illnesses that can't be seen.

Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve which travels from your lower back, down your legs, and to your feet, becomes inflamed. It usually happens because of the growing size and weight of the baby, which causes pressure on the back, thus creating a painful tingling down the leg. It can be difficult to walk for long periods or stand up for too long.

For me, sciatica has restricted my mobility in the sense that I'm not able to stand for too long, and I also need to keep my feet up quite a lot of the time. But I do have a few things that help which I thought would be useful to share...

First of all I tend to stick to wearing flat shoes or boots most of the time. Clarkes do a special range of trainer shoes which have a special arch called 'wave walk', which basically helps to absorb shock and strain when you walk. I bought these during my first pregnancy and am still using them three years on. They're great little runners when you need to walk for long periods with your little one.

The second thing is using a gym ball. Make sure you find one which is suitable for your height and try to use it to sit on whilst at the desk. It helps to keep the back upright and reduces pressure on the legs.

I used to practice Yoga during my first pregnancy and kept it up now as well. It is an excellent way to stretch those lower limbs and also helps prepare for birth, with specific breathing and meditation techniques. Do remember to inform your instructor about any conditions you suffer though, so that they can get an idea of which postures may help you.

Now coming on to the most relaxing part of pregnancy - massage. I have a a masseuse who comes over once a month and she is definitely worth it. I had to try a few before I felt comfortable and it's also advisable to ask the person doing the massage to see certificates or proof that they are qualified to carry out pregnancy massage, especially if you have sciatica or suffer from Pelvic Girdle Pain (which is a loosening of the pelvic area and can cause extreme pain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment